I managed to get two dyebaths from the boiling lichen experiments. The first, on washed Corriedale fleece in a stainless steel pot without additional mordants, produced a green-yellow, which will be a good counterpoint to some of the brighter colours I uncovered this summer:
When I was finished with the first bath, I poured the liquid into a cast iron pot with the lichens, boiled the water several times, added a small amount of washed Corriedale fleece and simmered that a couple of times. The second colour has a brown cast to it:
The colours would be more intense had I used more lichen or less fleece, but I wanted to reserve my remaining lichens for future experiments with ammonia baths or different fibres. These subtle colours can be blended with brighter ones, used for contrast or overdyed.